Outdoor Learning is an educational approach that emphasizes the use of the natural environment as a classroom and incorporates nature-based experiences to improve learning outcomes. This course aims to provide educators with the knowledge, strategies, and practical tools to effectively implement outdoor learning as a model of education.
Download the complete course description!
- Understand the principles and benefits of outdoor learning as an educational approach.
- Explore various strategies and methodologies for incorporating outdoor learning into the curriculum.
- Identify and analyze suitable outdoor environments for learning activities.
- Develop skills in planning and designing outdoor learning experiences.
- Learn techniques for integrating subject-specific content into outdoor learning activities.
- Acquire knowledge of risk assessment and safety protocols for outdoor learning settings.
- Foster an understanding of the social and emotional benefits of outdoor learning for students.
- Course Overview and learning objectives for the session.
- Introduction to outdoor learning as a model of education.
- Discuss the benefits of outdoor learning for students and teachers.
- Sharing research and case studies on the impact of outdoor learning.
- Explore the key principles of outdoor learning.
- Discuss different pedagogical approaches used in outdoor learning.
- Examine how outdoor learning aligns with educational philosophies.
- Planning and adaptation of outdoor classes.
- Understand the importance of aligning outdoor learning with curriculum standards.
- Examine how outdoor learning can support subject-specific goals.
- Collaborative activity: Mapping of curricular connections for different thematic areas.
- Reflect on ways to connect outdoor learning with classroom instruction and assessments.
- Discuss the importance of safety in outdoor learning experiences.
- Identification of potential risks and hazards in different outdoor environments.
- Sharing strategies for risk assessment and management in outdoor environments.
- Collaborative activity: Develop a safety and risk management plan for an outdoor learning activity.
- Explore strategies for designing engaging outdoor learning experiences.
- Discuss the use of question-based learning and hands-on activities in outdoor settings.
- Collaborative Activity: Design an engaging outdoor learning experience for a specific topic or subject.
- Reflect on how to incorporate student interests and research into outdoor learning design.
- Feedback and evaluation of the course.
*Please note that program content may be subject to change based on input from our trainers.
No upcoming dates found.
All expenses can be covered through a Knowledge Acquisition (KA) subsidy within the Erasmus+ initiative. This is a 5-day training course in which Mobility Friends imposes a fee of 450 euros per attendee, in courses located in the cities of the continent. For the Madeira and Azores, the price will be 480 euros.
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to participants who attend a minimum of 80% of the course.
The timing of classes, whether in the morning or afternoon, is determined by the provider. The schedule may vary considerably based on participants’ preferences and the trainer’s discretion regarding any modifications.
The participants will have the opportunity to visit the most emblematic cities of Portugal (Porto, Braga, Guimarães, Aveiro, Viana do Castelo, and others). The cultural activity program may differ according to the participant’s choices (the cultural visit is not included in the course price).
For certain courses, it may be necessary for you to bring your own laptop. Our team will inform you in case of need.